It’s hard not to love people when you sing together!
The Tacoma Refugee Choir is a diverse, non-auditioned choral ensemble dedicated to using music’s exceptional power to build a more welcoming community, foster unity, and spark meaningful action and dialogue. We seek to support and befriend former refugees that now call our city home and to use our voice to advocate for greater compassion. Further, we aim to empower choir members and others in our community to use their voice to make a difference.
Rehearsals are on Tuesdays from 7-8:30 p.m. at the Lighthouse Activity Center
at 5016 A Street, Tacoma, WA 98408.
More about the choir:
- Everyone is welcome! We especially encourage participation by refugees, immigrants, people of color, and anyone who has been estranged, persecuted, or harmed by various forms of injustice. Our goal is to create an ensemble that is reflective of the beautiful diversity of our community.
- There are no fees to join the choir. While the typical community choir has dues that average up to $300 per year, we have been able to make the choir completely free due to generous donors and sponsors and extensive volunteerism.
- There are no auditions to join and we maintain an open door policy for all (up to our maximum capacity). Simply show up to rehearsal and enjoy singing with us. Once you come to a rehearsal, you are part of our musical family and are always welcome.
- Musical training is not required. We believe that everyone can sing and that we become better by simply doing it. We teach most of our songs by rote and emphasize singing without judgment. Singers are encouraged to be part of the creation process and are given tools to better themselves as musical humans.
- Our songs reflect the tastes and desires of members of the choir. Currently many of our songs are high energy and in the style of American pop music with several songs written by members of the choir. Our concerts are more typical of a pop concert than a typical choir concert.
- We always invite audiences to clap, move, and sing along with us. It is our hope that listeners will be inspired to use their voice to make a difference. We hope you will join us for an event soon!
We love performing for the community but the magic of this group is the love and supportive relationships built during our Tuesday night rehearsals. On Tuesday nights, new members are received with warmth and friendships are deepened as we sing, laugh and care for one another through the music. We know that no matter what kind of day we have had, we will leave after ninety minutes of singing and laughter with a smile on our face and a renewed energy and hope to get through whatever challenges lie ahead.
At a time when many Americans are motivated by and responding to fear, we are inspired with hope as we sing and feel empowered to use our voices for good both within the walls of our rehearsals and in the community. We hope that uniting our voices will create a collective, uplifting voice even more powerful than the sum of its parts.